Save Grant Lodge!
Grant Lodge is the former Elgin Library.
It is located in a prominent position in the Cooper Park.
In 1903 it was given as a free gift (along with the grounds) to the "Community of Elgin" by the owner, Sir George Cooper.
The grounds were to be used as a park and the Lodge as a "Public Library and Reading Rooms and a Museum of Arts and Industries for the use and benefit of the inhabitants of Elgin".
Deed of Gift
The terms of the Deed of Gift, which was executed by Sir George, specifically prohibit the selling or letting on long lease of the Lodge or the Park and this has been a stumbling block when planning how to restore the Lodge. The responsibility rests with the Moray Council who do not have the funds or the imagination to do anything.
Community Asset Transfer
In order to transfer the Lodge to a group who want to restore it (The Grant Lodge Trust, GLT), it is necessary to seek a variation in the terms of the Deed of Gift from the Court of Session in Edinburgh.
That would cost money but it would be an investment which would allow the GLT to take the Lodge on a long lease, secure funding, perform a full restoration and then to make the Lodge available to the community and people of Elgin, which was the original intention of the benefactor.
Since a fire in 2003, it has been boarded-up, unused and unloved.
The Friends of Grant Lodge (FoGL) is a group who want to see Grant Lodge restored and brought back into use to benefit the whole community of Elgin.
We welcome all new members. If you would like to join us, or have any queries about our campaign, please contact us and we will be in touch.
Alternatively, please download our membership application form (PDF).